* indicates primary author
Refereed Journal Articles
18. Desmet, O. A. G, Pereira, N., & Peterson, J. (2019). Telling a tale: How underachievement develops in gifted girls. Gifted Child Quarterly. Advance online publication. doi:10.1177/0016986219888633 [Journal Impact Factor: 1.304; Flagship journal of the National Association for Gifted Children]
17. Zhou, N.*, Pereira, N.*, Chandrasegararan, S., George, T. G, Booth, J., Ramani, K. (2019). Examining middle school students’ engineering design processes in a design workshop. Research in Science Education. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11165-019-09893-x [Journal Impact Factor: 1.382]
16. Pereira, N., Tay, J. G, Maeda, Y., & Gentry, M. (2019). Differentiation as measured by the Classroom Practices Survey: A validity study updating the original instrument. Learning Environments Research. 22, 443-460. doi:10.1007/s10984-019-09284-z
15. Hodges, J. G, Tay, J. G, Lee G, H., & Pereira, N. (2019). The influence of the Great Recession on the identification of students from non-White populations in the State of Texas. Journal of Advanced Academics, 30, 124-143. doi: 10.1177/1932202X19825802
14. Tan, D., Yough, M., Desmet, O. A. G, & Pereira, N. (2018). Middle school students’ beliefs about intelligence and giftedness. Journal of Advanced Academics, 29, 1-24. doi:10.1177/1932202X18809360
13. Hodges, J.G, Tay, J.G, Desmet, O. A. G, Ozturk, E., & Pereira, N. (2018). The effect of the 2008 recession on gifted education funding across the State of Texas. AERA Open, 4, 1-11. doi:10.1177/2332858418786224 [2019 Pathbreaker Award Winner]
12. de Alencar, E. M., Fleith, D., Pereira, N. (2017). Creativity in higher education: Challenges and facilitating factors. Temas em Psicologia, 25, 401-409.
11. Pereira, N., Bakhiet, S. F., Gentry, M., Balhmar, T. A., & Hakami, S. M. (2017). Sudanese students’ perceptions of their class activities: Psychometric properties and measurement invariance of My Class Activities–Arabic Language Version. Journal of Advanced Academics, 28, 101-119.
10. Peters, S. J., & Pereira, N. (2017). A replication of the internal validity structure of three major teaching rating scales. Journal of Advanced Academics, 28, 101-119.
9. Zhou, N., Pereira, N., George, T.G, Alperovich, J., Booth, J., Chandrasegararan, … Ramani, K. (2017). The influence of toy design activities on middle school students' understanding of the engineering design processes. Journal of Science Education and Technology, 1-13. DOI 10.1007/s10956-017-9693-1 [Journal Impact Factor 1.785]
8. Rondini, C. A.P, & Pereira, N. (2016). Atendimento educacional especializado ao superdotado em escola pública Americana e contribuições para o contexto brasileiro [Special services for the gifted in American public schools and contributions to the Brazilian context]. Educação: Teoria e Prática, 26, 466-483. doi: http://doi.org/10.18675/1981-8106.vol26.n53.p466-483
7. Jordan, S. S.*, Pereira, N.*, & Dalrymple, O. (2016). The impact of design swapping on student design sketch quality. International Journal of Engineering Education, International Journal of Engineering Education, 32, 1984-1998. [Journal Impact Factor: 0.611]
6. Paganelli, A., Cribbs, J. D., Huang, X. S., Pereira, N., Huss, J., Chandler, W., & Paganelli, A. (2016). The makerspace experience and teacher professional development. Professional Development in Education, DOI:10.1080/19415257.2016.1166448 [Journal Impact Factor: 1.258; Official journal of the International Professional Development Association]
5. Pereira, N., Knots. J. D., & Roberts, J. L. (2015). Current status of twice-exceptional students: A look at legislation and policy in the United States. Gifted and Talented International, 30, 122-134. [Flagship journal of the World Council for Gifted and Talented Children]
4. Pereira, N., & Gentry, M. (2013). A qualitative inquiry into the experiences of high-potential Hispanic English language learners in Midwestern schools. Journal of Advanced Academics, 24, 164-194. doi: 10.1177/1932202X13494204
3. Pereira, N., Peters, S. J., & Gentry, M. (2010). My Class Activities instrument as used in Saturday enrichment program evaluation. Journal of Advanced Academics, 21, 568-593.
2. de Oliveira, L. C.*, & Pereira, N.* (2008). “Sink or Swim”: The challenges and needs of teachers of English language learners. INTESOL Journal, 5, 77-86.
1. Pereira, N. (2003). Um novo olhar sobre a sala de aula: A elaboração de tarefas à luz de teorias contemporâneas de ensino e aprendizagem [A new perspective of classrooms: Using modern teaching and learning theories in task design]. Cadernos do IL/UFRGS, 26/27, 183-191.
Refereed Practitioner Publications
3. Pereira, N., & de Oliveira, L. C. (2015). Meeting the linguistic needs of gifted English language learners: What teachers need to know. Teaching Exceptional Children, 47, 208-215. [Official practitioner-oriented journal of the Council for Exceptional Children]
2. Roberts, J. L., Pereira, N., & Knots. J. D. (2015). State law and policy related to twice-exceptional learners: Implications for practitioners and policymakers. Gifted Child Today, 38, 215-219. [Official practitioner-oriented journal of the National Association for Gifted Children]
1. Pereira, N., & Gates, J. (2013). Perceived classroom management needs of pre-service teachers. Kentucky Teacher Education Journal, 2, 1-17.
Refereed Conference Proceedings
5. Sohoni, S. A., Jordan, S. S., Kittur, J., & Pereira, N. (2019). Integrating differentiated instruction and project-based learning to teach embedded systems. Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference, Tampa, FL.
4. Zhou, N., George, T. G, Booth, J. W., Alperovich, J., Chandrasegaran, S., Pereira, N., Tew, J. D., Kulkaerni, D. N., Karthik Ramani (2016). Developing middle school students’ engineering design concepts through a toy design workshop. Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA.
3. Jordan, S. S., Dalrymple, O, Pereira, N., Astatke, Y, & Fletcher, J. D. (2012). Design swapping as a method to improve design documentation. Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference, San Antonio, TX.
2. Jordan, S., & Pereira, N. (2008). Design twice, build once: Teaching engineering design in the classroom. Proceedings of the National Center for Engineering and Technology Education Conference on Research in Engineering and Technology Education, St. Paul, MN.
1. Jordan, S., & Pereira, N. (2009). Rube Goldbergineering: Lessons in teaching engineering design to future engineers. Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference, Austin, TX.
5. Chamberlin, S. A., & Pereira, N. (2016). Differentiating engineering activities for use in a mathematics setting. In. D. Dailey & A. Cotabish (Eds.), Engineering instruction for high-ability learners in K-8 classrooms (pp. 45-55). Waco, TX: Prufrock Press Inc.
4. Pereira, N., Jen, E. G, Seward, K.G, Tay, J.G (2016). University-based programs for gifted students. In F. Piske, T. Stoltz, S. Bahia, & J. Machado (Eds.), Altas habilidades/superdotação (AH/SD) e criatividade: Identificação e atendimento [High ability/giftedness and creativity: Identification and programming options] (pp. 121-141). Curitiba, PR: Juruá Editora.
3. Pereira, N. (2013). Projeto HOPE: Oportunidades de promoção da excelência [Project HOPE: Having opportunities promotes excellence]. In D. Fleith & E. M. de Alencar (Eds.), Superdotados: Trajetórias de desenvolvimento e realizações (pp. 157-174). Curitiba, PR: Juruá Editora.
2. Pereira, N., & Bonotto, R. (2005). Integrating multiple intelligences and learning styles in the teaching of English as a foreign language. In F. Carboni & L.Z. Borowski (Eds.). A Interdisciplinaridade e o Ensino de Línguas Estrangeiras. (pp. 53-64) Passo Fundo, RS: UPF Editora.
1. Pitol, C.A., Martins, M.T., Paiva, M.G., & Pereira, N. (2004). Soirées in TEFL: Legitimating voices and talents in English. In S. Sarmento & V. Muller (Eds). O Ensino do Inglês como Língua Estrangeira: Estudos e reflexões. (pp. 75-97) Porto Alegre, RS: APIRS.
1. Gentry, M., Gray, A.G, Whiting, G. W., Maeda, Y., & Pereira, N. (2019). Access denied/System failure: Gifted education in the United States: Laws, access, equity, and missingness across the country by locale, Title I school status, and race. Report Cards, Technical Report, and Website. Purdue University: West Lafayette, IN; Jack Kent Cooke Foundation: Lansdowne, VA.
Other Publications (manuals, instruments)
2. Gentry, M., Pereira, N., Peters, S. J., McIntosh, J., & Fugate, C. M. (2015). HOPE Teacher Rating Scale: Administration manual. Waco, TX: Prufrock Press.
1. Gentry, M., Peters, S. J., Pereira, N., McIntosh, J., & Fugate, C. M. (2015). HOPE Teacher Rating Scale: Involving teachers in equitable identification of gifted and talented students. (Instrument). Waco, TX: Prufrock Press.